Is it possible to charge a car battery without using a charger? Yes, you can learn how to charge a car battery without a charger. You can also read more about my favorite diesel injector cleaner by reading more at this website. In many cases, the most popular method used is charging it with another car. But then, this opportunity does not always exist. Don’t worry though because you can still make use of other ways on how to do it.
While the best way is using a charging device because it is the simplest and most effective way to do it, there are other ways on which you can charge the battery if you don’t have a charger. But if there is no chance to do it because you don’t have your charging device with you, you can follow the simple methods highlighted below.
Things You Will Need
- Resistor or a 12V bulb
- Multimeter or ammeter
- Insulating tape
- Copper wires
- Soldering iron
Charging at Home without a Charger
Take note of the characteristics of the battery especially the capacity and the voltage. Also, remember that the voltage is generally 12 volts, while its capacity range is from 40 to 100 Ah. It is the reason you need your power supply unit with a voltage of at least 14 volts and then between two to five ampere capacity.
- To do this method, you need a device with the ability of creating a specific resistance. For example, you can bring a 12V bulb or a resistor. The car battery or the power supply unit is less likely to function if you won’t use resistance.
- If you want to take control of the process, you should use a multimeter or ammeter into your circuit. If you’re connecting all your devices into an electrical circuit, you should use a soldering iron, copper wires, an insulating tape and a solder.
- Before starting, know how to get the work done. Or else, you might put your safety at risk and hurt yourself in the process. As a tip, you might as well bring your car battery to maintenance or repair center to charge the battery.
- When charging the car battery, you should follow the precautionary measures and the exact steps. Doing so, you can ensure that you are in control of the process. It is also done to ensure that you’re not overcharging your battery.
Tips and Warnings
The following are basic tips to remember when charging your car battery without a charger at home.
- Take note that there is a risk for explosion because the battery produces explosive gas while being charged.
- So when charging with or without the car battery charger, you should have a fire extinguisher close by as much as possible.
- You must also keep the battery away from fire sources.
- When charging at home, you must also avoid smoking where you’re doing it. Instead, you must work in a well-ventilated space or area.
Alternative Method: Charging with a Laptop’s Charging Device
Another way on how to charge a car battery without a charger is using the laptop’s charging device. See the following for the simple steps on how to do it.
Things You’ll Need
- Laptop’s charging device
- Copper wires
- Strip two wires from the charging device – each for the positive and the negative wire. Take note that the positive wire must be inside and the negative outside.
- Attach the negative wire to your car battery’s negative output.
- Start connecting either the resistor or the bulb to the space or gap area. You must use a resistor here if you have it because you can change the resistance level with it.
Tips and Tricks
Be sure to gear down while driving your car at normal speed. However, you should switch off all devices that drain the battery power, and two of those include headlamps and air conditioner. Doing so, your car engine will be running at increased speed as well as your alternator’s intensity will increase. Do not do this often though because it is not good for your engine.
Also, remember that this charging method is going to increase fuel usage rate, but you can do it once as a temporary measure when no choice is left and you need to charge your car battery immediately.
Charging a car battery without a charging device is possible. Just follow the steps and tips and take note of the warnings outlined above for the best results and your safety.
Hope you find this article useful and be able discover how to charge a car battery without a charger in different ways. Did you like this post? Share it on Facebook and help others solve the same problem. Or if you think we missed something, tell us in the comment section below today! - From toptooladvisor.com - Latest News, Reviews and Guides for Every Tool Guy