Planning to hit the road for the entire summer? You'll need the right vehicle to travel in style. You'll also need to ensure that the vehicle is in good condition by bringing it to an auto shop for brake services and other tune-ups.
There are many times where I've dreamed of a life out on the road, combining living and working and exploring all into one big ball of fun. I'm not so sure my family would agree with my desire to live the life of a traveling nomad though. That's not exactly their idea of the kind of family travel they would enjoy as much as our normal vacations.
I'd imagine actually buying a recreational vehicle would be fun, but you have to have some knowledge about RVs before making a purchase. The Recreational Vehicle Industry Association considers an RV to be a motorized or towable vehicle that has transportation and temporary living quarters for camping, recreation, and travel.
Determining Which Types of Recreational Vehicle You Need
Before you can purchase a recreational vehicle, you have to determine which type you'll need. What will it be used for? How often will you use it? How many people will be traveling in it? What will you be taking along with you? Do you have a budget in mind that you can input into an RV calculator and look over your initial options? This will help you determine the size, amenities, and flexibility that you need in an RV. Some RVs come with all the amenities of a hotel, while others simply provide glorified camping amenities. What you'll be using the RV for will determine how much you'll need to spend and whether or not you'll also need to purchase a pickup truck.
5 Things to Know About Recreational Vehicles
- Visit a specialty dealer (a trusted rv dealer) rather than a car dealer; car dealers don't typically sell RVs and even if they do, they won't be knowledgeable enough to help you make a good decision. RVs can be purchased either new or used.
- Motorhomes are motorized recreational vehicles that offers both transportation and living quarters. Various sizes and styles are available, from van-sized campers, custom trailers, to luxury RVs. A variety of amenities can be included in a motorhome such as personalizing it with RV Windshield Covers.
- Towable recreation vehicles are travel trailers, truck campers, and sport utility recreational vehicles. As with motorhomes, there are various sizes and styles of towable recreational vehicles.
- Motorized recreational vehicles are more expensive than towable vehicles. However, the perk of a motorhome is that you don't need a separate vehicle to get it around.
- Towable vehicles typically require a pickup truck, which is a major consideration if you don't already own a truck.
Looking for more information about recreational vehicles? Find more here.